The Per Rewrite Diaries: Day 50

This post is part of a series about rewriting my iOS app, Per. Per is a price per unit comparison app with a bunch of neat convenience figures, but it hasn't been updated in years, so I'm rewriting it from scratch to eliminate a bunch of technical debt. Just because it's not an open-source app doesn't mean I can't share what I learn as I go!

See the rest of the series here.

A Recap

Today is the fiftieth —and last— entry into this daily development diary. I'm not going to be discussing further work on Per v2 here, because at this point the work I'm doing is new features, and because I think it's probably getting tiresome for some readers.

(There are no analytics gathered on this site, so I don't know if readership has increased or decreased with this series.)

The goal was to get Per from a blank Xcode project to feature parity with the currently-shipping version in an hour a day, and to record my progress publicly as I went. I hoped to complete that work in February (so, 29 days). Non-goals included any kind of custom design work. As much as possible, I'm only using standard iOS 13 UI elements. That's not to say that custom design work won't be coming, but that wasn't part of this project.

Also, this rewrite is being done entirely in code — no Interface Builder work, no XIBs, and no storyboards (aside from the one required for the app's launch screen).

Without further ado, here's my takeaway on fifty days of public development journaling:

So, this has been fun, and very helpful. I'm going to continue working on Per, and I'll probably share something here now and again — but if you're interested in finding out more as the app gets closer to release, check out the Dropped Bits blog and Twitter account.

#per #perRewriteDiary #ios